Permissions problem for sane

PK1048 paul at pk1048.com
Mon Aug 10 17:52:08 UTC 2015

On Aug 10, 2015, at 13:39, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> It's important to summarize that FreeBSD and Linux are different
> operating systems. That nothing in the comparison of "good vs. bad",
> it is simply a difference worth acknowledging to prevent unrealistic
> expectations. :-)

I would hasten to add that each has their strengths and weaknesses. I like to say that I am OS Agnostic, not that I think the OS does not matter, but that I choose the OS based on the job I need to get done. For example, for many of the reasons listed, I would choose Linux as the OS for a Unix-Like Workstation over FreeBSD or Solaris/Illumos even though I think that both the FreeBSD and Solaris kernels are _much_ stronger kernels. But, the vast majority of Unix-Like Desktop utilities and environments are developed _for_ Linux so they run better in that environment. On the other hand, unless and application requires Linux, I tend to prefer FreeBSD for servers.

Each has their place and using the _correct_ OS for the task at hand can make the task easier to accomplish and (possibly) more reliable.