9.3 boot error

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Aug 8 11:22:08 UTC 2015

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 21:30:09 -0400, Matthew DeFrancesco wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> This is my first attempt at diving into the world of FreeBSD. I completed
> the 9.3 installation and after I rebooted (and taking out the bootable
> media) I get an error while booting:
>
> Non-system disk or disk error
> replace and strike any key when ready

This indicates that the boot section of the disk hasn't been
properly written. The boot loader is missing, so nothing happens
when the BIOS transfers control to the first active partition.
You can install the boot section without repeating the whole
installation process - there's an option for this in the installer.

> I also tried installing 10.1 on a DVD, but continued to receive a CAM
> timeout error - which did not allow me to even proceed to the installation.

This often happens when the optical drive is faulty, or the
media is defective.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany