64bit P4 vs mfsBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Aug 7 11:38:02 UTC 2015

On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 17:40:04 -0400, Quartz wrote:
> ... except it doesn't work. I tried both 10.0 i386 and 10.1 amd64 and
> both of them hang. 10.1 amd64 gets to the beastie menu, but regardless
> if I select multiboot or single user it gets as far as the white-on-blue
> "Booting..." and then just stops. 10.0 i386 seems to die somewhere in
> stage two before the menu even appears.

Have you tried - for the sake of an answer - to boot from
an older FreeBSD system? It's quite terrible that I would
make such a suggestion, but P4 is a rather old platform,
so why do you expect it to run a current FreeBSD? Normal
answer: Because old platforms still run current FreeBSD.
But in this case...

I've been using a P4 machine myself for many years, it has
been running FreeBSD 5 and 7 (i386 versions only) happily.

So what I would suggest: Download FreeSBIE 1.1. This is
a live file system CD (yes, not a DVD) that can be booted
and doesn't require to be installed. Run "dmesg" and see
what CPU features are listed (right at the top). You can
also run "sysctl -a | grep cpu" to get more information.

When you have verified what P4 model it is, you can take
the next steps.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany