Highest version with VGA fonts

Michael B. Eichorn ike at michaeleichorn.com
Fri Aug 7 06:11:33 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-08-07 at 03:40 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
> What is the highest version of FreeBSD which still uses VGA fonts and
> CONS*
> consoles (i.e. no raster fonts, no unicode, plain old iso-8859-1) in
> plain
> text mode?

Presuming CONS* includes syscons(4), it is still the default in 10.1
-RELEASE. I would expect vt(4) to be the default going forward as it now
covers most common use cases (and UTF-8 support is nice).

At the moment vt(4) does not support the VGA text mode loadable fonts or
VGA vesa features found in syscons(4). It does, however, have a text mode
which can be enabled with hw.vga.textmode=1 in /boot/loader.conf. I use
UTF-8 with it but the feature list mentions ASCII which probably means
ISO-8859-1. The vt(4) wiki page specifically mentions that this is merely
the current state of things not the end goal.

> Is there a BSD branch that is sticking with true text consoles?

Since syscons(4) and vt(4) do support a text modes, if this is not what
you mean by 'true text consoles' could you please clarify further?

For reference the wiki page for vt(4) (aka Newcons) has a nice chart of
current feature status. https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons

P.S. I got your email from the future, seems like there is something up
with the timezone on your mail server (the time looks correct if it were
UTC but an offset was applied on top of it)