USB stick and some help with it.

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Aug 4 15:24:10 UTC 2015

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, Michael Powell wrote:

> Bernt Hansson wrote:
>

>> On 2015-08-03 17:26, jd1008 wrote:
>>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rda1
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rda1 bs=1m count=10
>>
>> dd: /dev/rda1: Operation not supported
>
> Does setting sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16 (as root) make any difference?
> Don't recall for sure if it's supposed to be 16 or 15, but I've used this
> command before successfully to unlock.

No.  Please do not use that.  It is a foot-shooting enabler.  If there
is a partitioning scheme on the disk, use 'gpart destroy' to correctly
destroy it.

If there is no partitioning scheme and the device still cannot be
written, something else is wrong.  Many USB devices need quirks to
function properly, and that would be the next guess.