pkg installation && adduser

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Aug 4 07:17:50 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm trying to understand how the package command creates users during
the installation of packages, for example the dbus-1.8.8.txz does not
contain any file or script for creating the groups and user
'messagebus'. How this is done during 'pkg install dbus'.

When I look into the port's work directory ther is in .metadir:

# ls work/.metadir/
+DESC		+MANIFEST	+MTREE_DIRS	+PRE_INSTALL

the file +PRE_INSTALL which does this:

# cat work/.metadir/+PRE_INSTALL
echo "===> Creating users and/or groups."
if ! /usr/sbin/pw groupshow messagebus >/dev/null 2>&1; then
  echo "Creating group 'messagebus' with gid '556'."

but this is not packaged into the package itself:

# tar tzf work/pkg/dbus-1.8.8.txz | fgrep +
+COMPACT_MANIFEST
+MANIFEST

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks