Getting value out of "man getopts"

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 21:56:28 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Christian Weisgerber <naddy at mips.inka.de> wrote:
> Further down, the "useless" builtin(1) man page says that getopts
> is only a builtin in sh(1) and not available in csh(1).

Christian: I apologize for using the term "useless" -- I should have
instead said "apparently useless to me but I am a dunce and I probably
don't get it hence I am making this post asking for help".  I tried to
communicate this in my OP by saying "at least it seems useless to me
but that's probably because I am a dunce."

All: thank for your help.  I now understand why "man getopts" and "man
csh" are not helpful in explaining getopts.  I see that "man sh" shows
some info about getopts.

I apologize to all I offended, particularly Sheldon Hearn, author of
"man builtin".

Chris