Binary upgrade from 8.4 to 10.1

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Mon Aug 3 21:21:08 UTC 2015

I am responsible for sysadmin work on two internet-facing servers -
www.stovebolt.com and mail.stovebolt.com.  Both of these servers are
production servers, and we have no test or devel servers.  (Small hobby
website with very little money.)

I want to upgrade from FreeBSD 8.4 RElEASE to FreeBSD 10.1 RELEASE using
FreeBSD update.

I've done this before, and I don't think I'll run into issues with the
binary update, but I want to make sure I do everything right and in the
right order.

Is there a document that describes this process with detailed steps that
doesn't leave anything out?

I did find this:
<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2014-November/081088.html>

But I'm wondering if there is an official document that describes every
step of the process.

Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst