System won't boot after loss of power

Robert Fitzpatrick robert at webtent.org
Sat Apr 25 18:44:12 UTC 2015

Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 11:54:37 -0400, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> I can use Live CD and make changes to the /etc/fstab to use the slices
>> of one pair of drives and chroot to the existing system without gmirror
>> and read all the data from all the partitions. This works for all drives
>> updating fstab for each pair of drives.
>>
>> No matter how I update the fstab file, I just get a blinking cursor
>> without reaching the FreeBSD boot manager at all. How can I diagnose
>> further or restore the boot process?
>
> The boot manager has nothing to do with /etc/fstab,
> which "happens much later". If you encounter a problem
> at an early booting stage, the reason is to be searched
> for there.
>
> Maybe... is the boot manager damaged or absent? Check
> the partition properties with gpart. In worst case,
> re-install the boot manager (with gpart or bsdlabel,
> depending on how you have partitioned your drives).
> Are you sure the system is trying to boot from the
> correct drive? Can you interrupt at the boot prompt
> or the loader prompt, or don't you even reach those?
> If you can, verify that the correct root device is
> being configured.
>
> Also, just in case, check if there's something strage
> regarding the boot order in your BIOS / UEFI.
>
> Everything else at this poing is just WAG... :-(

Thanks, I have checked the BIOS, there are only two drives out of four
showing up, one of the 150G drives and one of the 1TB drives, but I see
four devices using the Live CD and can read them like I noted before,
unless they are the same drives shown under two different devices, is
that possible? Under the Live CD, I see ada10 and ada0 are the same
150GB data, and also see ad11 and ada1 are the same 1TB data.

/dev/ad10p2 /
/dev/ad10p4 /usr
/dev/ad10p5 /var
/dev/ad10p6 /home
and ada0 show the same data, then....

/dev/ad11s1 /data
with ada1s1 shows the same data

I assumed these were the two pairs of disks with the same data handled
by gmirror.

--
Robert