Jail Already Exists

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Tue Apr 21 15:46:13 UTC 2015

At some point in the past I learned the trick of dropping TCP
connections that were left open to clear processes that were not
allowing a jail that had been shutdown to be restarted. Does anyone know
other things that could cause a jail to be held open? I have one that I
am unable to start, without rebooting the entire server? In this
particular instance, It wouldn't be a big deal for me to bounce the
server, nor is it an issue leaving the jail down for a while to
experiment. However on some other servers both of these would be an
issue so I figured now is a good time to experiment with finding a
solution.

root at freebsd:/jails/proxy # jls
    JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path
      1  192.168.5.6     pgsql.dweimer.local           /jails/pgsql/ROOT
      2  192.168.5.9     mysql.dweimer.local           /jails/mysql/ROOT
      3  192.168.5.2     webmail.dweimer.local
/jails/webmail/ROOT
      4  192.168.5.4     bacula.dweimer.local          /jails/bacula/ROOT
      5  192.168.5.8     unifi.dweimer.local           /jails/unifi/ROOT
root at freebsd:/jails/proxy # jail -c proxy
jail: proxy: jail 6 already exists

jail 6's IP is 192.168.5.3

netstat -an | grep "192.168.5.3"

finds no results.

The jail simply runs a Squid proxy service, I have verified that there
isn't a hung up squid process. I have also verified that there are no
hung up python processes since I use a Python script as a log daemon to
write the Squid logs into a PostgreSQL database on jail 1. I am not sure
what else to check for.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer