Youtube-dl problem/question

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Tue Apr 21 13:29:21 UTC 2015

On 04/21/15 00:43, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 15:50:30 -0453, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>> You can always grab the script here:
>>>
>>> https://calomel.org/youtube_wget.html
>>>
>> Thanks, I'll try 'er out :-).
> Additionally, you can get youtube-dl from here:
>
> http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html
>
> Just make sure you have Python 2.6, 2.7, or 3.2+ installed.
> YOu can then run it from ~/bin. Keep in mind it also includes
> an updater (-U), so in worst case, you don't need to update
> it via ports.
>
> It's also worth mentioning that youtube-dl doesn't just work
> for YouTube, but for many others, too. It's really helpful
> when things get... de-published. ;-)
>
> And of course it allows you to watch videos comfortably in
> your favourite media player, you won't have to get angry
> about crappy browser plugins and their lack of usability.
> I think just _this_ point is more than enough to justify
> the use of this great tool.

Word dat last point, it is one of the reasons I have flash installed &
maintained through ports, the *only* such pkg on my box, although some
other sites require it as well (Ameritrade, NOAA, & a few others). If
those folk would just find an alternative (*surely* there are
alternatives), I would be 100% pkg for my package maintenance, which I
would be well pleased with.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III