Use "kdesu" in KDE

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Apr 11 19:14:15 UTC 2015

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 21:03:12 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hmmm:
>
> $ kdesu date
> sh: kdesu: not found

Thanks for verifying! Interesting that it's not part of
KDE anymore...

On the other hand, I remember that KDE had some built-in
means to "switch to root" (at least on Linux), but I
cannot remember where this option was located or how it
was called.

Interesting...

> But, who needs 'kdesu' is you have a terminal, xterm, ... and 'su'

Right; "su" should work for almost everything.

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 00:31:29 +0530, arnab bhowmick wrote:
> thanks friend. But kdesu or su- is not working

As we know now, "kdesu" doesn't seem to be available
anymore... no idea...

But you should be able to use "su" without problems.
Open a terminal (KDE's "Konsole" or simply run "xterm")
and enter:

	su root

What happens? (You can copy/paste from the terminal
session.)

Please note: You have to add your user to the "wheel"
group if you want to su to root (just entering "su"
will default to root, if no other username is provided;
"su -" and "su -l" means the same; see "man su" for
details).

In order to make this change, switch to a virtual
terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+PF1 and login as root.
Then enter:

	pw usermod -G wheel <name>

where <name> is your own user name. You can also
manually add the name to the "wheel" line in /etc/group.
Then logout again ("exit").

Switch back to your X session by pressing Ctrl+Alt+PF9.
The change is in effect immediately.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany