I need some solution

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Apr 8 18:36:18 UTC 2015

Redirecting to -questions. Additional comments below.

> On Apr 8, 2015, at 12:15 PM, arnab bhowmick <arnabbhowmick111 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello guys i am new to Free BSD. recently I have installed free BSD 10.1
> release on my system. I am facing some problems. When I am starting my
> system and logging in it showing a black screen with some freebsd well come
> note and a sigil($) sign at the left of the screen and nothing else.

That is expected. Without a GUI, you get a shell (command line) prompt after you log in.

> No
> graphical interface. When I am using pkg install command to install
> something like mate-desktop/ GNOME desktop or some other program it fails
> to install the package. It is replying that ( pkg: failed to extract
> pkg-static : can't create '/user/local/sbin/pkg-static' ). What to do next?

Are you logged in as the root user or a different user? You typically need to be root to do package management commands.

Please post the exact command you are trying to run and the messages you get in response.

JN