pkg_delete bash, logged out by accident, can't ssh back in (not good)

Alex Stangl alex at stangl.us
Sat Sep 27 14:44:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 08:04:53PM -0400, firmdog at gmail.com wrote:
> Didn't work. Thanks for the idea!
>
> But I just got home and happen to have a shell open from a laptop. So lucky
> and fortunate that I had a shell open from home.

Glad to hear you got it w/o much trouble. I just want to add a couple
things to the good advice already shared here. It's good to keep a
bootable DVD on-hand, for the same FreeBSD version you are running.
You have the option of booting off the DVD, mounting the hard drive
file systems, and then replacing the missing/corrupted files from the
DVD.

I'm paranoid about my login shell getting screwed up like this, and
getting locked out. So I always keep my login shell set to /bin/sh
or /bin/tcsh, and then switch over to whatever shell I actually want
to use via a command like "exec mksh", either manually typed, or put
into one of the shell startup files. If the alternative shell gets
screwed up somehow, then you cannot exec it, but you're not locked
out of the system.

Alex