pkg must be version 1.3.8 or greater

Rick Miller vmiller at hostileadmin.com
Wed Sep 24 09:44:43 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 2:44 AM, Ruben Schade <newsgroups at rubenschade.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Running FreeBSD amd64 10.0-RELEAESE-p9. Installed everything from pkg,
> very nice system.
>
> Prefer building nginx from ports, so portsnapped the latest tree and did
> the usual:
>
> > # cd /usr/ports/www/nginx
> > # make install clean
>
> Got the following error:
>
> ===>  nginx-1.6.2,2 pkg(8) must be version 1.3.8 or greater, but you have
> 1.3.7. You must upgrade pkg(8) first.
>
> Running pkg update however:
>
> > FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
> > All repositories are up-to-date.
>
> And pkg upgrade:
>
> > Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> > FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
> > All repositories are up-to-date.
> > Checking for upgrades (1 candidates): 100%
> > Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
> > Your packages are up to date.
>
> Fairly new to pkgng, could that "1 candidates" line be the updated pkg I
> need in waiting?

Scenarios like this are the reason I've deployed and been using Poudriere
to build private repos because intermingling the two systems has proven to
introduce numerous challenges through my own experiences and observations
on a number of mailing lists.

It is simple to setup a system to build private repos with Poudriere, but
one doesn't even need Poudriere to do it.  A private repo is as simple to
build as building the packages via Ports, copying them to your repo
directory, and running `pkg repo` on it.

--
Take care
Rick Miller