Console output?

lnrt80 at openmailbox.org lnrt80 at openmailbox.org
Tue Sep 23 09:20:38 UTC 2014

I have a annoying problem with FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE that I don't know how
to fix.

If the monitor is switched off or another video source is selected,
FreeBSD for some reason disables screen output on the system, so when
switching the monitor on again or selecting the previous video source,
screen output is no longer present and the monitor can't detect any
signal from the FreeBSD system, exactly as if the system was shutdown.
The only way to restore screen output is by rebooting the system with
the monitor switched on, and I don't think that rebooting the system
everytime we need to do work from the console is a satisfying solution.

I can rule out hardware problems as various Linux distributions have
been installed on the same setup and the problem described is not
present, the behaviour is only seen with FreeBSD.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, hints, comments or anything
else that could point me in the direction of a solution, as this problem
is driving us nuts.