comparing SSH key and passphrase auth vs. an SSH key *with* a passphrase ...

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Wed Sep 17 04:09:41 UTC 2014

--As of September 15, 2014 7:09:46 PM +0000, John Case is alleged to have
said:

>> Key based auth is definitely the better choice out of those two.
>

> Ok, agreed.
>
> However, just out of curiousity - let's pretend that sshd *did* allow you
> to use both an SSH key and a UNIX password at the same time ... would
> that be more or less secure than using an SSH key with a built-in
> passphrase ?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Lots of variables there: How does sshd store the password?  (Does it use
the system's user password?  How are you storing that?)  Can you *require*
using a password with a SSH key?  How does the SSH key store the password?
etc.

On a basic level, at that point you need both something you have (the SSH
key) and something you know (the password).  The two pieces are the same in
both cases, so the security comes down to implementations - and since one
isn't implemented, we can't compare implementations.  ;)  Chuck mentioned
that the storage for passwords with private keys isn't super great, so if
it used the system's user password that should be better - because there's
been a lot of work on storing those securely.

BTW: Since a couple of people have pointed to Google's two-factor system, I
thought I'd point to my current favorite: Yubikey[1].  There's a PAM
module, so it can be set up moderately easily.  (I'll admit I haven't
tried: I mostly rely on physical security for my main network...)

Daniel T. Staal

[1]: <http://www.yubico.com/>

local copyright law.