Convert system to FreeBSD

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Wed Sep 17 01:15:35 UTC 2014

At 10:51 AM 9/14/2014, Jerry wrote:
>Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:47:55 -0400
>
>I have a chance to get an HP Envy with 32.0 GB memory, 64-bit system
>with an
>Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz. I can get the unit for free at
>a fire sale (long story). It is using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
>software with RAID 5 with three 1,863 GB HDs. This is currently being run on
>a Win-8.1 system.
>
>If I wanted to turn this into a FreeBSD machine, and I am not even sure if
>all of the hardware in this unit is supported by FreeBSD, how would I go
>about duplicating this setup? Obviously, the Intel software would not work
>under FreeBSD. What would/could I use to replace it with the same
>functionality?
>
>--
>Jerry

Jerry,

The Intel raid is really software raid, and should work fine with
FreeBSD.  What I would do is:

Boot the system to the point it offers the Intel RAID console, usually
ctrl-i enters the console.

Delete the existing array

Create a new array, even if it is the same drives and RAID type.  This
ensure new meta data on the physical disks and marks them as unused/blank.

Boot FreeBSD installation CD/DVD/USB and start the installation.  You'll
know right-away if it detects the Intel RAID, and can write the new system
to it.

-Derek

---

believed to be clean.