A lot of pkg problems

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Tue Sep 16 20:58:34 UTC 2014

On 09/16/14 15:25, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> Coert:
>> Upgraded to version 1.3.7, was on an older one indeed. Was running
>> 1.2.4_1 Still having issues though, for now I just stick to release/0
>> and pkg version 1.2.4_1 Going to try an upgrade later
> I really don't know why pkg should be used in this stage. I seldom
> have seen so much negative side effects with using a program as with
> this one.
> Is the program not tested thouroughly or am I just too stupid to
> understand? Last time I used it, my complete php port system got
> damaged and had to reinstall BSD from scratch in order to get my
> active ports in line again.
>
> Please understand that writing this is no offence to the author of
> pkg; I really respect all effort that is put in it - I just don't
> understand why it causes me/us so much trouble using it.
>
> BR, Jos Chrispijn

I have posted a fair amount of questions/issues w/ pkg as well. I think
most of the problems are with documentation. The interactions between
ports & pkgs as managed by pkg are not necessarily intuitive, & *ALL*
documentation (man pages, 'pkg help ....', & online docs) are mum on
that matter. There are some files/metadata/etc. that apparently are used
by both packages (ports & pkg), & it is maddeningly easy to run afoul of
those interactions, at least for me. I have boiled it down to 'always do
whatever you are going to do w/ pkg *1st*, then mess w/ ports' .... That
is working for me, but my setup is pretty simplistic .... YMMV, IANAL, &
all that rot ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III