S + J for /tmp and /var and /?

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sat Sep 13 06:19:20 UTC 2014

Am Fri, 12 Sep 2014 23:31:02 -0400
kpneal at pobox.com schrieb:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 09:09:47AM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > On "/" and "/tmp" as well as "/var" I have enabled soft-updates and journaling (S +
> > J). I'd like to ask what the official FreeBSD recommendation would be to that matter.
> > I have disabled for now journaling, looking whether it will help to solve the problem
> > or not.
>
> You keep /tmp in an on-disk filesystem?
>
> Personally, I prefer to run with some swap space and then have /tmp be an
> in-memory filesystem. The current name for this is "tmpfs".

Yes, on systems with low memory and low swap. On all other systems I use tmpfs for more
than a year for now.

The problem is that clients like xpdf open by default all PDFs in /tmp and not /var/tmp
(which is still mapped to disk in all my configurations) and with lots PDFs open, the box
starts swapping pretty quickly with only 4GB RAM and ZFS. Even with 8 GB RAM its a kind
of problematic, when we deal with larger temporary files taken from simulations, opened
by vi or other editors and stored temporarily in /tmp.