Ongoing problems w/ flash for Opera/FF31 ....

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Fri Sep 12 14:08:13 UTC 2014

On 09/12/14 05:02, Jamie Griffin wrote:

> On 11/09/2014 16:09, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

>>> Please see this site https://github.com/xmj/linux-ports and follow
>>> the instructions there for either linux-f10 or linux-c6 base which
>>> also includes the flash plugin setup instructions.
>>

>> Thanks for your prompt & precise response. It puts me in a bit of a
>> bind, since I have never used github :-/ .... I'm on FBSD 9.3, so no
>> linux-c6 (apparently) available. My distinfo in my
>> linux-f10-flashplugin ports directory already shows the same info on
>> the webpage, i.e. I seem to be already using the software referenced
>> above, non ? Please advise & thanks for any guidance you can provide
>> :-) ....
>>

> You just install git and clone the repo and then follow the commands
> in the README.
>
> However, I would recommend using youtube-dl and/or mpv. You can stream
> the videos from youtube with either program or you can download the
> file and watch with vlc, for example. That is what I do. Flash player
> is awful software.

I quite agree on flash, however, several sites useful to me use it. Some
of these are U.S. Gov't sites (NOAA, NWS), which I suspect aren't likely
to change on a whim, especially my whim :-) .... Thus, I would like to
get flash working if possible. I am already using the version of the
flash plugin referenced above, & it is a nogo for me. I was mostly just
checking on the status of that port, seeing if it was still active, etc.
Latest version posted in late August, so it seems alive. It might be
being maintained only for newer FBSD (10 or 11) .... if so, it would be
nice to know that ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III