minor sendmail issue ....

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Sep 9 19:35:41 UTC 2014

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 12:17:07 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> I think I have that point (matching names in rc.conf & hosts) covered:
>

> [root at kabini1, /etc, 12:14:40pm] 407 %  grep -i kabini rc.conf hosts
> rc.conf:hostname="kabini1"
> hosts:192.168.0.27              jaguar  kabini1
> [root at kabini1, /etc, 12:14:41pm] 407 %

Yes, which means no: There's no entry for 127.0.0.1 for
that host. Local sendmail is listening on that IP.

Also read "man 5 hosts" about what the fields of this
file, separated by spaces, indicate:

	<IP>	<official host name>	<alias(es)>

As you can see, "jaguar", the official host name as per
hosts file, does not match the hostname "kabini1" set
in rc.conf. In order to have several names for one IP
(which is possible and valid), you can simply add more
than one entry for each IP, for example:

	127.0.0.1	localhost.local localhost
	127.0.0.1	kabini1.local kabini1
	192.168.0.27	kabini1.local kabini1
	192.168.0.27	jaguar.local jaguar

You can check if your settings are correct by testing
them with the "host <name>" command.

> but w/ no domain name .... I'll try jaguar.local in hosts & see how that
> goes .... Thx :-) ....

The domain name isn't essentially required, but it
does not harm to define one. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany