upgrade to 10 for zfs ?

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Wed Sep 3 21:18:20 UTC 2014

 Le 07/08/2014 à 11:48:18+0200, Fabian Keil a écrit
> Albert Shih <Albert.Shih at obspm.fr> wrote:
>
> > I've (in production) a file server running FreeBSD 9.1-p8. The only thing
> > this server does is file-server. Not event through nfs just keep all
> > file.
> >
> > All data file system is using ZFS. I got pretty big (or let's say not
> > small) pool (150To) and the server got 48Go of Ram.
> >
> > Since we using zfs send/received from a another server I got daily a zfs
> > core dump. I failed to find which process make this core-dump but it's
> > definitvly zfs :
> >
> > pid 23943 (zfs), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
> > pid 70462 (zfs), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
> > pid 71042 (zfs), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
> >
> > I check every zfs file system and don't find any corup data.
> >
> > One of the zfs sender is running FreeBSD 10 the other linux/Debian.
> >
> > What's you advise ? Should I upgrade to FreeBSD 10. ?
>
> Note that receiving zfs processes may also crash on FreeBSD 11:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2014-July/019814.html
>
> The cause hasn't been analysed yet and from your description
> it's not clear to me if it's the same assertion that's being
> triggered, but in my case the problem is reproducible, so you
> could look for receiving datasets that are missing snapshots
> that should have been received already.
>
> If no snapshots are missing, it's probably an unrelated issue.
>
> Obviously checking the backtrace wouldn't hurt either.

So after sometime I make the upgrade not to FreeBSD 10 but to FreeBSD 9.3
(it's more easy for me because the server got some jail on FreeBSD 9).

Since the upgrade everything is fine no more core dumped.

The only point is I lost 2 zfs dataset after the reboot, of course it's the
both dataset give me the core dumped. It's not a big deal for me because
it's only backup. The point is before I upgrade I check the partition with
find/md5, zfs scrub etc... and everything seem fine.

Anyway thanks.

JAS

--
Albert SHIH