how to install wireless n.i.c. on FreeBSD 9.1

leeoliveshackelford at surewest.net leeoliveshackelford at surewest.net
Mon Sep 1 20:09:52 UTC 2014

Dear Kpneal and Polytropon,

Thank you both for your recommendations. Yours truly, Lee

On 08/31/2014 01:33 AM, Polytropon wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 16:08:31 -0400, kpneal at pobox.comwrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 02:38:16PM -0700, leeoliveshackelford at surewest.netwrote: topic, can or do you recommend a character mode programer's editor, that is, an editor that prints a line number to the left of each line? Thank you for any and all comments. Yours truly, Lee I use vi for this, and I've gone to the trouble of compiling FreeBSD's vi AKA "nvi" on the Linux systems I'm forced to use. The vi/nvi option for this is "set number".

This is a good suggestion, as vi (and vi-like editors) are
very common among programmers. Within X, which helps me to
organize my workflow consisting of the use of terminals,
browser windows, debuggers, manpages, Midnight Commander
and other tools, I tend to use gviim (a graphical "enclosure"
for vim, "vi improved"). I didn't improve or customize it
much - just added line numbers, syntax highlighting and a
few other settings. So if you are in X, check out gvim to
see if you like it. If you are in text mode, use the system's
vi. You can enrich it with a custom configuration file,
just like with gvim (which uses ~/.vimrc so it doesn't
conflict with the real vi).

Your suggestion of vi is hereby seconded. :-)

However, for "quick and dirty" stuff (or anything that
isn't actually real programming) I use mcedit via PF4 out
of the Midnight Commander. This editor is very nice and
powerful, but doesn't have line numbers.