Root-on-ZFS upgrade question

Darren Pilgrim list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com
Fri Oct 31 22:15:13 UTC 2014

If I have a running FreeBSD 9.x system, can I use 10.0 install media and
the by-hand approach outlined in the RootOnZFS wiki page to install 10.0
in parallel to the running 9.x then boot into the new OS?  I'm asking if
I can do it this way because the current OS is 9-stable and I want to
switch over to 10.0-RELEASE stock so I can make use of freebsd-update
from official repos going forward.  The basic process would be:

1. download and vnode mount 10.0 install media
2. set up the new tank/osroot10 tree
3. chroot and install OS and bootblocks as usual
4. exit chroot, migrate etc things
5. reboot into rescue media and change mountpoints
6. reboot into new OS
7. curse at myself because I forgot that one setting in that one file I
touched once years ago and didn't note in the logbook
7a. repeat last step as necessary
7b. promise to self to be more diligent with the admin logbook THIS TIME
I SWEAR FUH REALS

I don't see anything in the wiki page that would pose a problem.
Amazingly, I was smart enough way back when that I installed the current
OS into a data subset, not the ZFS root, so I think the only extra step
I need is the extra reboot to move the / mount.

Am I overlooking anything?