/usr/X11R6 sym link

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Oct 30 07:15:12 UTC 2014

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 07:59:46 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> A pity that I overlooked that the old /usr/X11R6 was a sym link to
> (fully qualified) /usr/local:
>
> $ ls -l /mnt/usr
> total 58
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     10  7 abr  2011 X11R6 -> /usr/local
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   7680  1 ago  2012 bin
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    512 12 abr  2011 compat
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    512 18 abr  2011 games
>
> This (rm -rf /mnt/usr/X11R6) damaged the system I was sitting on, i.e.
> the USB key :-(
>
> Ofc, I have had an image of the key and could recreate the key in a few
> minutes. And of course, I could have seen this and ofc I will keep my
> eyes wider open next time, but I'm curious: what piece of old package
> could have created such a symlink in this older (9-CURRENT)
> system?

I think this symlink is being created already by the
OS installation. You can add any missing directories
using mtree and the .dist files in /etc/mtree...

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10 2011-08-21 22:32:05 X11R6@ -> /usr/local

On the other hand, I assume any port that still
requires /usr/X11R6 will take care to create it.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany