Loader vs loader efi ficl incompatibility

William william at firstyear.id.au
Wed Oct 29 22:45:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

To get my laptop working (Macbook pro) with freebsd, at boot you need to
outb to some memory locations before boot so that graphics works.

In a test vm, I defined the following ficl:

: display_fix ( -- )
    ." ========= "
    0x710 inb emit
    0x728 inb emit
    0x740 inb emit
    0x750 inb emit
;

display_fix

I wanted to run inb to start with to see the current state of the
values, rather than charging in setting memory values.

In a VM, I add this to boot.4th, and it works, I see characters on the
screen.

On the real hardware with loader.efi, I get the error "inb not found"
and the boot.4th doesn't run.

Both systems are running 10.1rc3.

Are there differences in the ficl interpreter between loader and
loader.efi? Is this perhaps a bug?

Aside: The definition for outb in ficl is:

outb( port char -- )

If I run

0x710 1 outb

Am I putting an ascii 1 into char, thus the value 0x31, or am I putting
an int 1 into char?

--
William <william at firstyear.id.au>