Unclear which version I should D/L...

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Tue Oct 28 07:21:28 UTC 2014

On 28/10/2014 01:29, Phil wrote:
> Hi Shane, Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I have
> downloaded the disk1 iso and created a bootable disk but I do have
> some more questions about the install and functionality of FreeBSD.
> Could you point me towards a good source for answers to questions
> such as ZFS formatting and running FreeBSD as a “headless server”
> Again, thank you for your help, Phil

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

The FreeBSD handbook is the best place to start. There is a recently
updated chapter on ZFS. As for a headless server, learn to use the
command line, most documentation will refer to typing in commands or
editing text files rather than using gui apps. Install an ssh client on
your windows machine (I believe putty is the popular one) to access the
machine remotely. Chapter 4 of the handbook covers unix basics.

Get familiar with cli based text editors, ee would be the simplest one
available in the base system. This allows you to edit any config
remotely over an ssh session.

man pages are a great source of info on any command - type in 'man ee'
you can also get web access to man pages at
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi
Many config files also have man pages, try rc.conf loader.conf sysctl.conf

cd pwd ls cat more find grep would be commands you will use regularly.

Also feel free to ask for help on the freebsd-questions mailing list.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler