wireless networking

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 15:35:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Anthony Simm
<simm.anthony at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear Antonio,
> wow, that was a quick reply!!
> And AsciiDoc rocks, looks really good: I discovered Lyx recently myself but
> this looks better!
>
> I have a different wireless card than the one that you mentioned, so I
> googled it's driver's name and found this:
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man4/ipw.4.html
> This page was written by Damien Bergamini.
>
> So I replaced the relevant line with this:
>
> if_ipw_load="YES"
>
> and rebootet.
> Nothing.
>
> ifconfig ipw0
>
> gives the same as before:
>
> ipw0: flags=8802<POINTTOPOINT, SIMPLEX, MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
> ether 00:0c:f1:5e:4c:58
> nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
> media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
> status: no carrier
>
> But I am connected to the same router with the laptop that I use to write to
> you! There is a carrier, it is just not detected.
>
> In the meantime I bootet the FreeBSD box with PartEdMagic; it finds the
> router and connects. So the hardware is o.k.
>
> That Ubuntu page includes links to an IPW webpage
> http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/
> but the link is dead.
> I hope Damien is alive and kicking!
>
> This link is dead as well:
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/ipwcontrol.8.html
>
> Very strange...
>
> This is a quote from that page:
>
>>      This driver requires firmware to be loaded before it will work.  You
>> need
>>      to obtain ipwcontrol(8) from the IPW web page listed below to
>> accomplish
>

> Do you have any more ideas?
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> One more question; this is the first time that I installed FreeBSD, is this
> community so close that each question will be answered individually? Or
> should we not carry this to a forum?!
>
> Reagrds,
>
> Anthony

Anthony,

Have you tried Warren's suggestion?

``
>> ifconfig | grep -A4 -i wireless
>

> which gives
>
> media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
> status: no carrier
> plip0: flags=8810<POINTTOPOINT, SIMPLEX, MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
> lo0: flags=8049<UP, LOOPBACK, RUNNING, MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384

Hmm.  That should be -B3:
ifconfig | grep -B3 -i wireless

' '

I would try to check if the driver that is required for that wireless
is loaded or not with
# kldstat

if it is, then why is it not associated?

For this other question(s)
``
> One more question; this is the first time that I installed FreeBSD, is this
> community so close that each question will be answered individually? Or
> should we not carry this to a forum?!

''
Community members many times are very helpful and provide suggestions
and help.  Other times, the question may not be answered right away
since people are busy and not have much tiime on their hands.  On a
forum other folks show up and may or may not be able to help.
YMMV(your mileage may vary).

Best Regards,

Antonio