Problem with portupgrade - "could not find a temporary directory"

Kent Kuriyama kent.kuriyama at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 13:36:48 UTC 2014

Bernt, thank you for your email.  I finally figured out that I had
mistakenly set the file protection bits of "/tmp" to:

drwxrwxrwx

They should be set to:

drwxrwxrwt

Portupgrade calls a ruby script "/usr/local/lib/ruby/2.0/tmpdir.rb" to
check on the existence of the temporary directory.  It is that script that
is looking for the sticky bit to be set on "/tmp".

Kent