need help installing / configuring s3fs-fuse on FreeBSD 10

firmdog at gmail.com firmdog at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 18:29:32 UTC 2014

Trying to get s3fs working on my FreeBSD 10 server running on Amazon
AWS EC2.  I want to mount my Amazon S3 bucket.  Tried both installing
the port and compiling from source and both are not going well.

1. Installing the port

When I run "pkg install fusefs-s3fs" on FreeBSD 10, nothing happens.
Just this output:

# pkg install fusefs-s3fs
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The following 1 packages will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
fusefs-s3fs: 1.71_2

The process will require 284 KB more space.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
[1/1] Installing fusefs-s3fs-1.71_2: 100%
#

That's all the happens. No install instructions displayed about
rc.conf at all, which is odd.  I put fusefs_enable="YES" into rc.conf
anyway.  When I try to mount the s3 bucket I get this error:

fuse: failed to open fuse device: No such file or directory

I followed these instructions:
http://superuser.com/questions/327661/how-to-mount-amazon-s3-bucket-to-a-directory-on-freebsd

"/usr/local/etc/rc.d/fusefs" did not get installed.  No clue what to
do next. Any ideas?

2. Also tried to install the code from source. Here are the relevant links:

https://github.com/s3fs-fuse/s3fs-fuse

https://github.com/s3fs-fuse/s3fs-fuse/wiki/Fuse-Over-Amazon

./autogen.sh
./configure
checking build system type... amd64-unknown-freebsd10.0
checking host system type... amd64-unknown-freebsd10.0
checking target system type... amd64-unknown-freebsd10.0
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... ./install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... nawk
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... c++
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether c++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of c++... gcc3
./configure: 3628: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

Can anyone help me compile from source? Am I doing something wrong?