Keep using syscons -- how?

Lars Eighner luvbeastie at larseighner.com
Wed Oct 22 17:08:18 UTC 2014

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014, Warren Block wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2014, Lars Eighner wrote:

>>> Allow me a more general question. I'm not asking as
>>> a "means of insult", but because I'm really interested
>>> in the answer:
>>>
>>> Why not use terminal emulators (xterm, rxvt, konsole,
>>> gnome-terminal etc.) inside an X session?
>>
>> Because raster fonts are illegible compared to vga fonts,
>
> The text-mode fonts are raster fonts, too.

I don't understand this. There are raster text modes, but 80x24 VGA has
never been called "raster" that I know of.

>> Text mode is robust.  That is really the bottom line.
>
> Use vt(4) in text mode:

Yes, just like Linux.  What I am asking is where do I have to freeze to
avoid this? At what point is cons25l1 and xwindows to vtty switching still
available?

> kern.vty=vt
> hw.vga.textmode=1
>
> The console will switch to graphics mode only if X is started.  At present,
> there is no way to switch back to text mode, nor a way to control which fonts
> are used or the resolution selected.  Some functionality of sc(4) is not yet
> present in text mode vt(4), like mouse cut and paste.  As far as I know,
> there are no technical problems that prevent these features.
>
> And of course sc(4) is still present if the system does not use X at all.

Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html
8800 N IH35 APT 1191 AUSTIN TX 78753-5266