exiting Xorg locks up 9.2-STABLE system

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Wed Oct 15 21:52:23 UTC 2014

According to Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> on Wed, 10/15/14 at 15:00:

> Can you try building and booting a GENERIC kernel, to at least
> establish whether the problem is with your system or with your
> kernel configuration? You mentioned that you recently upgraded to
> 9.2, but you didn't say what you upgraded from. It is possible
> that your kernel configuration didn't pick up all of the changes
> that might have been desirable.

I made a stupid typo in the Subject: line, but changing that would
throw off any threading MUA applications or archivers.  I made the
"leap" from 9.2-STABLE to 9.3-STABLE a few days ago.  At this time
I rebuilt _all_ my ports from source -- I know, I know...  :-)

The idea of using the GENERIC kernel is a valid one and I thank
you for the suggestion.  I will be back in the office to try this
out next week...

> To be honest, custom kernels are really only worthwhile for very
> specialized appliations these days.

I've been doing this since the FreeBSD 2.16 days -- it has just
become habit for me...   :-(

Regards,

web...

--

 /"\   ASCII RIBBON          / William Bulley
 \ /   CAMPAIGN AGAINST     /
  X    HTML E-MAIL AND     / E-MAIL: web at umich.edu
 / \   LISTSERV POSTINGS  /

72 characters width template ----------------------------------------->|