[SOLVED] Mounting samba, some files are invisible

Martin Hanson greencoppermine at yandex.com
Thu Oct 9 22:15:37 UTC 2014

> But you can see more of these files when you use a GUI viewer,
> and with MC you can see all of them, if I read you right.
>
> Could this be charset related, i. e. do the files in question
> have any, like, utf-8 characters in their names?
> And MC decodes these filesnames correctly,
> your GUI viewer decodes some of them correctly,
> and the console doesn't do it at all?
>
> If it works better with a GUI then in the console,
> and the GUI accesses the smbfs mount,
> it is probably not the fault of mount_smbfs.
>
> Michael

Michael, thank you very very very much!!

I kept investigating and mounting with this setting solved the problem:

mount_smbfs -E iso-8859-1:iso-8859-1

Doing a locale on the FreeBSD box gives:

LANG=
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

And I remember it being setup with ISO-8859-1.

The Linux box is running UTF-8 for all users:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I don't know if the above "-E iso-8859-1:iso-8859-1" is the correct way to solve this,
but now I know where to look.

Forgive my impatience.

Kind regards.