oddball syslog entries ....

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 8 19:28:49 UTC 2014

On 10/08/14 13:52, Mike Clarke wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 Oct 2014 08:34:04 William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>
>> [root at kabini1, /etc, 8:21:10am] 699 % pkg install -y wireshark
>> tcpdump
> <snip>
>
>> New packages to be INSTALLED:
>>           wireshark: 1.12.1 [FreeBSD]
>>           linux-f10-xorg-libs: 7.4_1 [FreeBSD]
> <snip>
>
>> Installed packages to be REMOVED:
>>           linux_base-c6-6.5_1
> One of the dangers of using the "-y" option. There's not much point
> using this option when running interactively because it denies you the
> option of bailing out if it wants to do unexpected things.
>
> Without the "-y" option if extra packages need to be installed they
> will be listed and you will be asked to confirm - it's an all or
> nothing question so you only have to type "y" or "n" once no matter
> how many packages are involved.
>
> But I'm puzzled why it wanted to install the linux packages anyway
> neither wireshark nor tcpdump depend on them. Here's the output from a
> PC which didn't have any linux packages on it

> root at fbsd10:~ # pkg install -n wireshark tcpdump
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
> Updating FreeBSD_new_xorg repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD_new_xorg repository is up-to-date.
> All repositories are up-to-date.
> The following 9 packages will be affected (of 0 checked):
>
> New packages to be INSTALLED:
> 	wireshark: 1.12.1 [FreeBSD]
> 	gtk3: 3.8.8_1 [FreeBSD]
> 	colord: 1.0.1_3 [FreeBSD]
> 	at-spi2-atk: 2.8.0_1 [FreeBSD]
> 	at-spi2-core: 2.8.0_1 [FreeBSD]
> 	GeoIP: 1.6.2_1 [FreeBSD]
> 	libsmi: 0.4.8_1 [FreeBSD]
> 	adns: 1.4_2 [FreeBSD]
> 	tcpdump: 4.5.1 [FreeBSD]
>
> The process will require 145 MB more space.
> 22 MB to be downloaded.
>
> BTW, as others have said tcpdump is part of the base system and you
> didn't need to install the port which offers additional bleeding-edge
> features. You can safely delete the tcpdump package.

Your point on the -y option is well taken, I wasn't expecting any
trouble, & sometimes I type that command in & walk off to do something
else while pkg does its thing; w/o a -y, it waits until I'm back to
proceed. This may be a recurrence of the problem I have been posting
about, which boils down to the FBSD pkg system is mid-stream changing
over from linux-f10 to linux-c6, & repos are still in a state of flux
.... I cleaned up the linux compatibility stuff & seem to be back in the
saddle again .... Thx.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III