Bash Shellshock Bug

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Oct 1 06:43:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 14:27:37 -0500, Mark Felder wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 12:44, Polytropon wrote:
> >
> > That was my initial fear - the ports infrastructure has
> > changed in a way that it probably won't work on older
> > versions. Thanks for confirming this fear. So working
> > with the ports tree is out of scope, and probably there
> > won't be most recent binary packages (for use with pkg_add)
> > available...
> >
> > So it seems that building from source "off the track"
> > might be the only solution here.
> >

> FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE has been EoL since July 31, 2012. Were you unaware
> that the ports tree will change to use new features and break for EoL
> releases?

The initial question was about 6.2, not 8.2, and earlier,
even a 4.x question regarding the same problem has been
asked. :-)

For example, with pkg becoming the default, I knew that
there would be problems, as older build systems cannot
satisfy the new needs (Makefile changes, new database).
Additionally, the options framework also has been adjusted,
so that would also cause incompatibilities...

> I don't think anyone likes seeing end users stuck in these situations;
> your feedback will be appreciated.

I haven't tested building bash "off the track", but it seems
to be the only (at least) possible thing to try, it _could_
work. Using the system's means (ports, packages) probably
won't work at all.

So I hope the OP will be successful getting the current bash
version, even though with "nonstandard means". :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany