OT: UPS for FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Nov 29 14:08:50 UTC 2014

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 17:26:03 -0800, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> I've always found it amazingly absurd that you use a UPS (a bank of
> batteries charged by AC->DC conversion), invert it back to AC, which gets
> converted to DC for the motherboard and peripherals.
>
> But that's just me, probably.

In order to illustrate my damaged memory, my age and
ignorance, but... hasn't that been the concept of many
early home computers? The external power supply would
generate (something like) 12V DC and feed that into the
computer, which would generate stabilized "sub-voltages"
(like 5V or 3 V DC) for the components on the mainboard?
If I remember correctly, computers like the ZX Spectrum,
the C64 and the Amiga 500 could be powered directly from
a battery...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany