[Bulk] Re: OT: UPS for FreeBSD

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Nov 29 09:44:56 UTC 2014

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 00:49:07 -0800
perryh at pluto.rain.com (Perry Hutchison) wrote:
>           multitapped
> 120VAC ==> step-down ==> 6VAC ==> full-wave ==> ~15VDC ==> battery1
>           transformer             rectifier
>                   +---> 3VAC ==> full-wave ==> ~7.5VDC ==> battery2
>                                  rectifier
>
> battery1 ==> regulator ==> 12VDC
>
> battery2 ==> regulator ==> 5VDC
>
> IOW the computer runs off the batteries, which are charged by the
> stepped-down but unregulated (or minimally-regulated) line voltage.

And that already is done and is one design I was thinking about, but
I called it the wrong name, Wiki likely knows what the correct name for
this design is. As a side effect this is a good mains filter. Another
design is possible, perhaps enlarging the lifespan of the batteries,
because they are only used when needed and using a switching power
supply should be possible too.

Regards,
Ralf

PS:
I wonder if consumers are aware that lightning arresters provided by
multi-outlet power strips alone don't protect. The protection needs 3
steps, 2 steps must be provided by the buildings electric. The
lightning arresters provided by multi-outlet power strips is just the
last step, useless without the 2 other steps. Lightning protection in
Germany is much more needed, than protection in case of a blackout.