UPS for FreeBSD

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri Nov 28 21:14:15 UTC 2014

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014, Paul Pathiakis via freebsd-questions wrote:

> Sorry, haven't had an oscilloscope for a long time. :-(

Thanks to the web, here are some photos:

http://www.pbase.com/wlarmon/ups_waveforms
http://www.jkovach.net/projects/powerquality/
http://www.repeater-builder.com/backup-power/su1000-xl-mod.html

The Smart-UPS 420 is the stepped wave model I was thinking of earlier.
Also, I have seen what I think is that second unit, the Back-UPS XS
1300, working acceptably well with a FreeBSD system.

The Smart-UPS 1000 shown last is functionally similar to the SUA1500.
The differences are number and size of batteries and inverter capacity.
The SUA1500 has both serial and USB connection.  Some of the older,
smaller APC units are serial only.

Finally, sysutils/apcupsd lets you connect one computer to the UPS
directly and act as a server.  Other computers can be powered off the
same UPS and interact with the server over the net.