OT: UPS for FreeBSD

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Nov 28 19:47:27 UTC 2014

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:24:56 -0500
Paul Pathiakis via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
wrote:
> I would hope that any power coming out of any UPS is cleaner than
> whats coming over the miles of power lines to your building/outlet.

Too funny, I didn't followed this thread, but randomly read this mail.
Since more than 20 years ago, when switching power supply became the
standard power supplies for most gear, most unpleasantness is caused by
impact of switching power supplies to the mains.

"Very low cost SMPSs may couple electrical switching noise back onto
the mains power line, causing interference with A/V equipment connected
to the same phase." -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply

Are there other switching power supplies, than "Very low cost" once
used in averaged households?

"miles of power lines to your building" aren't the issues nowadays, the
power switching supplies inside our buildings pollute the mains.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: 99,999999999999% when I needed to repair broken gear in the last
years, I needed to repair a f...ine switching power supply.