Installing from running FreeBSD

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 19:47:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Eduardo Morras <emorrasg at yahoo.es> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a server running FreeBSD 9.2-p15. I want to upgrade it to release
> 10.1 with minimal shutdown so I'm thinking about installing 10.1 in a new
> partition running the 10.1 installer from 9.2., configure the system,
> install and configure ports, and then restart with 10.1. I never did it
> before nor know if it can be done and some questions emerge:
>
> a) Did someone tried it before?
> b) Can it be done safety/ly?
> c) How can I install ports or pkgs in 10.1 partition from 9.2, perhaps
> with the pkg jail (-j) option?
>
> Thanks in advence
>

> ---   ---
> Eduardo Morras <emorrasg at yahoo.es>

My application :

I have a FreeBSD server .
I want to switch to a Linux server .

In another computer , I have installed Linux , and I have tested it that is
working very well by copying some files into it from a client computer .

>From a client :

Currently it is connected to FreeBSD server .
By defining a second NFS server in Linux in its "fstab" file , I am
obtaining access to both servers
from the same computer  at the same time .

I am copying all of the contents of the FreeBSD server into Linux server .

In the servers :

I am disconnecting FreeBSD server from the network .
I am changing IP of the Linux server  to the FreeBSD server IP number .

The same can be applied to second server as a FreeBSD server .

After installation , HDD of the second server may be moved to first server
by modifying its IP number to make it the same of the first  server to
allow clients to connect without any change .

For this you need a spare computer which may not be server quality one .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk