Testing if a process is protected

chris chris at bsdjunk.com
Thu Nov 27 08:41:26 UTC 2014

ps -O flags
flags     The flags associated with the process as in the include file
               <sys/proc.h>:
P_PROTECTED          0x100000      Do not kill on memory
                                                  overcommit

[chris at pcbsd-chris] ~% ps -O flags,class
  PID        F CLASS  TT  STAT    TIME COMMAND
 3476 10104002 daemon  0  Ss   0:00.25 csh
11072 10004002 daemon  0  R+   0:00.00 ps -O flags,class
[chris at pcbsd-chris] ~%

csh is protected ps is not ? hope this helps some :P

Chris Petrik
FreeBSD Developer
E on FreeBSD
------
As in certain cults it is possible to kill a process if you know its true name.
-- Ken Thompson and Dennis M. Ritchie

---- On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:12:47 -0600 Moreno Carullo<moreno.carullo at nozominetworks.com> wrote ----