Fwd: Reinstalling Windows from a corrupt FreeBSD install

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Nov 26 17:26:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014, Mike Starr wrote:

>> *Geom name: ada0*
>> *Scheme: MBR*
>> *Providers:*
>> 1.
>>     ada0s1
>>     1.5G
>>     type: !39
>>
>> 2.
>>     ada0s2
>>     581G
>>     ntfs (windows?)
>>
>> 3.
>>     ada0s3
>>     338G
>>     ebr
>>
>> 4.
>>     ada0s4
>>     11G
>>     FreeBSD

This is an MBR partitioning scheme.  The first slice is probably a
utility or recovery partition for Windows, and Windows is installed in
the second slice.

The third slice is an "extended" partition.  There might be
subpartitions inside it.  Let's ignore that, it will not matter to
FreeBSD.

>> *Geom Name: ada0s4*
>> *Scheme: BSD*
>> *Providers:*
>> 1.
>>     ada0s4a
>>     10G (I thought this was where I installed FreeBSD...)
>>     FreeBSD-ufs
>> 2.
>>     ada0s4b
>>     561M
>>     FreeBSD-swap

This is a normal FreeBSD install in the fourth slice.  The slice is
divided into a 10G data filesystem partition and a 561M swap partition.

>> I tried the boot0cfg -B -m 0xf command but it didn't work. But I see what
>> you're trying to do--not so change the BIOS (each slice or Geom has its
>> own?), but to change the boot manager (so you can choose which Geom to load
>> from). I don't know what the difference between a  provider and a consumer
>> is. I'll poke around with the boot0cfg command a bit more and see what
>> happens.

>From memory, it would just be 'boot0cfg -B ada0'.

However, Windows users might find it using easier to use EasyBCD
http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ (scroll to bottom, click Register,
registration not required).

Another option is just to install VirtualBox and install FreeBSD as a VM
inside it.  Besides making it possible to run multiple systems at the
same time, it does not endanger the existing partition table or
operating systems.