IPv6 aliases on FreeBSD 10

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Sun Nov 23 22:59:20 UTC 2014

On 11/23/14, 5:14 AM, pepe wrote:
>   I also tried adding
> aliases with /128 instead of /64, but it changed nothing.
> With /128 it worked just the same way.
As one of the people mentioning /128s, I'd like to retract that
suggestion; I've been reading the ipv6 related documentation given that
I'm bringing up my first 10.1 box with ipv6.....and things have changed
a bit since 8.4.

> Current rc.conf is:
> ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="YES"
> #ipv6_defaultrouter="2001:14b8:1801::1"
> ipv6_defaultrouter="fe80::1%em0"
> ifconfig_em0_ipv6="inet6 2001:14b8:1801::c001 prefixlen 64"
> ifconfig_em0_alias59="inet6 2001:14b8:1801::2 prefixlen 64"
> ifconfig_em0_alias60="inet6 2001:14b8:1801::c002 prefixlen 64"
> ifconfig_em0_alias61="inet6 2001:14b8:1801::3 prefixlen 64"
> ifconfig_em0_alias62="inet6 2001:14b8:1801:1:: prefixlen 64"
> ifconfig_em0_alias63="inet6 2001:14b8:1801:1::1 prefixlen 64"

Just making sure that you realize that if the ISP's equipment is
addressed 2001:14b8:1801::1/64, it wouldn't necessarily do good things
with your address 2001:14b8:1801:1::/64 unless it had a route to that
network.  But that's an aside and doesn't appear to be the root issue
you're dealing with.

> I'm starting to think it's problem on ISP side and not ours. But just to
> sure - anyone have any ideas what more to try?

I read through this thread, and as far as I can tell, you've told us
almost nothing useful about the topology of your network.  Where does
the cable from em0 go?  Directly into the ISP's equipment?  If so, what
kind of equipment are we talking about?  What type of media?    I admit
complete ignorance of the industry norms specific to Finland, but around
these parts it makes a world of difference whether you're talking
directly to a cable carrier's "modem" or a point-to-point circuit into a
high-end router.

What I would do, given what little I know about your topology:

1)  Run "ndp -an" on your machine.   All the addresses you expect to
work should show up as permanent entries in this table.

2)  You're not doing any firewalling are you?

3)  If you don't run em0 into a switch, insert one (preferably one that
does L3 and port mirroring, if you just happen to have access to one
like that) between the server and your ISP.

4)  Attach another ipv6 speaking machine  to the switch.   Can it ping
all the addresses?   Does its ndp table show the proper mac address for
all the addresses?

5)  Optional:  mirror all the traffic on the switch port attached to the
ISP the test machine you added and using tcpdump or wireshark or
what-have-you look at the traffic between the ISP and your server.

If the test machine in #4 reaches all the server addresses just fine
even though the ISP doesn't, particularly if #5 shows the ISP never
sending the traffic that should be going to the "non-functional"
addresses, my leading suspicion would be that that the ISP's equipment
has very, very limited capacity for a L2 address table, quite possibly
as a matter of deliberate configuration, and after it learns about N
neighbors, where N is a very small number, it simply ignores any
additional addresses.  Other than getting your ISP to do something about
that, the only fix I can think of is to put a router (which is where a
L3 switch would be handy) between your ISP and your server.  Then, in
theory, your ISP's equipment should have to deal with the only addresses
on the outside of your router in L2 and everything else would be L3
routing.   My big concern about that, however, is that the default
address they've given you is actually in your /48, so it's unclear to me
what the heck they're doing with the routing.  So you probably have to
talk to them in any case about what the outside interface of your router
should be addressed as.

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com