value of maintaining emacs-mode packages in ports

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Sun Nov 23 12:53:08 UTC 2014

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Christopher J. Ruwe wrote:

> In that light and as the ports maintainer of math/ess, the Emacs
> speaks statistics R-mode of emacs, I am asking myself specifically
> whether I add any real benefit in maintaining math/ess. More
> generally, I am interested in community answers as to whether it is
> really useful to maintain Emacs-extension-packages in ports.

As a non-Emacs user, can I raise some questions that should be asked every
time a service/feature is withdrawn?

If you stop maintaining math/ess, does it go away, or merely stop
improving?

Does the Emacs package system support the same versions of Emacs that you
support in math/ess?

If a user upgrades FreeBSD will he lose what he has unless he converts to
the new Emacs package system?

Is the Emacs package system something that requires an installation of its
own?

May I suggest that if you let it go away, you place a README file where
Emacs-extension-packages was that points users to the replacement, with
instructions for how to get there? Not everyone using Emacs on FreeBSD
follows the mailing lists for FreeBSD, (or Emacs).

Daniel Feenberg