Handbook update section for custom kernel

Marko Turk markoml at markoturk.info
Sat Nov 22 18:23:57 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 07:42:30PM +0100, Marko Turk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in handbook, section 24.2.3.1. Custom Kernels with FreeBSD 9.X and Later
> says:
> "Before using freebsd-update, ensure that a copy of the GENERIC kernel
> exists in /boot/GENERIC. If a custom kernel has only been built once,
> the kernel in /boot/kernel.old is the GENERIC kernel. Simply rename this
> directory to /boot/kernel."
>
> Should the last sentence be
> "Simply rename this directory to /boot/GENERIC."
>
> or am I missing something?

Update:
I tried again and freebsd-update always updates my custom kernl in /boot/kernel/
although I copied generic kernel to /boot/GENERIC/.

This happens both when applying security patches (e.g. 10.0 to 10.0-p12)
and when I upgrade from 10.0-RELEASE to 10.1-RELASE.

Is this a problem with freebsd-update?

BR,
Marko