webcamd for integrated ricoh webcam on sony vaio VGN-SZ4XN/C laptop (linux driver r5u870)

Giuseppe Pagnoni gpagnoni at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 11:17:21 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I am trying with no success to make the camera on my laptop work under
FreeBSD 10.1 i386. The laptop is a Vaio VGN-SZ4XN/C, and the
integrated webcam is a Ricoh-made one.  Under Linux, it is recognized
as: "05ca:1835 Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC5" and is
supported by the driver r5u870.

I am unable to make it work under FreeBSD. I installed the packages:
- lib4l
- v4l_compat
- webcamd
- cuse4BSD-kmod

And entered in /boot/loader.conf:
cuse4bsd_load="YES"

and in /etc/rc.conf:
webcamd_enable="YES"

The camera is attached to usb 4.3. Now, if I enter:
# webcamd -d ugen4.3 -i 0 -v 0

I get:
Attached to ugen4.3[0]
webcamd: cannot find USB device