Hardware RAID or software for ZFS

Andrew Berg aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu
Tue Nov 18 16:04:42 UTC 2014

On 2014.11.18 09:28, bsd at todoo.biz wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I would need your help in order to figure out which will be the best in order to setup a server which will be used as a Poudriere server.
>
> My question is related to the usage of hardware RAID controller (JBOD) or software based controller (graid)
Use neither. ZFS does its own RAID and it works much, much more efficiently if
it doesn't have some other system below it lying about what is going on with
the disks. At best, your other RAID solution will waste cycles, and at worst,
ZFS will constantly try to fix all the changes that happen underneath and the
two will constantly be fighting over what the correct state of the disks is. In
that case, ZFS often loses and you will be unable to access your data because,
as far as ZFS knows, gremlins are flipping bits at random and destroying your data.