vsnprintf and friends modify the va_list argument

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Nov 18 01:57:13 UTC 2014

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 11:15:28 -0800, Doug Hardie wrote:

> > On 16 November 2014, at 18:08, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> > Maybe adding stdarg(3) to printf(3)'s SEE ALSO section would
> > be a helpful choice here.
>
> Probably, but I would normally never chase things that far
> to figure out there would be a problem.  I believe a warning
> like you quoted above in the printf man page would be more
> likely to be noticed.

This is probably a good and _possible_ idea. There aren't
that many va_*-related functions in the standard library,
and because the printf() family shares one manual page,
such a hint could be provided here, mentioning that because
of the use of the va_* functionality, certain arguments
will be subject to change. This is, in my opinion, a hint
that makes FreeBSD documentation more valuable again for
developers. This, in combination with the reference to
stdarg(3), could maybe be suggested to the FreeBSD doc
team.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany