upgrading 9.3 / ZFS v28

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Tue Nov 18 00:24:55 UTC 2014

On 11/17/14, 10:15 AM, andrew clarke wrote:

>> Hmmm...this could have gone better for me:
>>
>> To install the downloaded upgrades, run "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install".
>> root at boonen:~ # freebsd-update install
>> Installing updates...chflags: ///var/empty: Read-only file system
>>
>> Normally, freebsd-update returns a reboot-and-proceed message at this
>> point. Also, this system has no /var/empty partition.
>>
>> How to proceed?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Ah yes, I encountered that error too. I think you'll find you do have
> a /var/empty judging from the above error. On my system:
>
> $ zfs list | grep empty
> zroot/var/empty              14K   239G    14K  /var/empty
>
> $ zfs get readonly zroot/var/empty
> NAME             PROPERTY  VALUE   SOURCE
> zroot/var/empty  readonly  on      local
>
> So this is necessary before you run freebsd-update:
>
> # zfs set readonly=off zroot/var/empty
>
> Obviously, set readonly=on after freebsd-update has finished:
>
> # zfs set readonly=on zroot/var/empty

Thanks very much for that. With those changes, the install completed
successfully.

As for upgrading ZFS, I think it's done save for one issue.

This command will upgrade the zpool, even when mounted:

zpool upgrade -a

This command will take the system offline, as I learned the hard way:

zfs upgrade

The right way to do this:

1. Boot into a LiveCD. I used the FreeBSD 10.1 DVD.

2. For each boot partition, use this command:

# gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0

This assumes that (a) the freebsd-boot partition is first on the disk
and ada0 is the disk. Use "gpart show" to verify this.

This system has four disks, each with a freebsd-boot partition, so I
went on like this:

# gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 2 ada1
# gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 3 ada2
# gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 4 ada3

...and I got an invalid index error on that last one, even though it's
set up the same as the others.

The system seems to boot and run OK, but I'm not sure why that last
command failed.

dn